21.11.06

Chanson D'Automne

Now, as fall draws inevitably to its close, I come to the realisation that it is my favorite season.

First let me tell you about Autumn Leaves. A song for some, a visual feast for others, for me, a confession- its my favorite substrate. Its the very first outdoor substrate I encountered and their arrival each year, well it gives me goosebumps just to think about it. At first there's just a few, here and there,then.. a few more trapped at the feet of wire link fences to be scratched and freed. And then it increases and there are piles and mounds and huge great stretches of it that I dive into and kick up and then ahem well you know, like I said its my favorite substrate.

The cooler weather means walks, nice long ones with no fear of overheating and no worries about what time of day it is. PL seems to enjoy them more too, we go more often and we're out longer. And then, when we get home the radiators hiss and I nap with my nose pressed aginst the one in the dining room. "You'll burn yourself" PL scolds, but I ignore him.

This season of mellow fruitfulness also means apples from the farmers market. I will often find my lunchtime kong filled with cold cubes of a Braeburn or Mutsu or Fuji apple sealed with a dab of peanut butter.